Sunday, June 28, 2015

Construction Junction

Remodeling (v) = to alter the structure



You can say that again.


For safety and an extra bedroom, we have decided to close in our great room.  And although our current situation resembles the aftermath of a shipwreck, we're going to love the finished product.

Meanwhile Emerson oversees the beginning work stages from her Little Mermaid chair.


And somewhere Hugh Jackman is singing, "Empty chairs at empty tablesssss...." or something like that.


I'd say our contractor and his team made quite a lot of progress on day one.

Before:




After:



Apparently someone thinks that this is her new personal playroom.


People who wear sunglasses inside: rappers, patients after an eye appointment, and Emerson.  Because she's just that cool.


Have you ever read the book, If You Give a Mouse a Cookie?


Basically the story is that once you start something it never ends.  If you give a mouse a cookie, then he'll want a glass of milk.  But then he'll need a straw.  And a napkin.  And then, and then... you get the point.

So if you give KATHARINE an IDEA...


It never stops.  "You know, if we're going to paint the family room, then this wallpaper really needs to go.  And if we paint the kitchen we'll probably need new curtains.  And if we get new curtains the throw pillows won't match..."

NO MORE REDECORATING!!!


Ask me to list the most tragic things in this world, and I'll tell you: lost people, world hunger, wars, and wallpaper. 


Have you ever taken down wallpaper?  When people put up wallpaper they have one goal in mind: they want it to stick.  They're not thinking about the day when it comes down.  That's where our misery comes in.  It's not nearly as bad as that time Jay and I ruined one of our family bathrooms...


but it was definitely not the easiest.  There were thousands of pieces of paper on the wall.  If I never see a putty knife again it will be too soon.

And you never realize how much to appreciate organization until you go to dry your hands and can't even find a kitchen towel.  Total disarray.



One night last week Miss Priss got very sick all over our bedspread, so I took my first trip to the laundromat, since the load was too big for our washing machine.  And let's just say, I made my moronic mark.


The bedspread was huge, and I was trying a) not to drag it on the ground, and b) not to get vomit on the guy next to me.

I looked around for the largest machine I could find and stuffed it in.  That's when a guy came up to me, clearly seeing that I was more lost than a toddler using the SAT for a coloring book.


"Do you think this one is large enough to wash my bedspread?" I asked.
"Well yes, ma'am, it is...but that's the dryer."

And this was the look on my face.




Oops.  So I moved the bedspread (throw up and all) into the closest washing machine when he asked where my soap was.  I had to bring soap to this place!??  That's like bringing shampoo to my hair stylist!  How ridiculous!

Does Sally want frizz or color control this time?




Then the guy told me that I could buy soap for $.75 out of their machine, which I did, and dropped the whole box in the water as I was on my tip toes trying to dump it in.  28 minutes of my life later the load was finished, and I dragged the 45 pound bedspread to the dryer I originally chose and put in my coins.  Then I realized that I had put the coins in the dryer UNDERNEATH that one, so I could either change dryers or pay again.  I chose the latter.

Two hours later I was back home with a clean bedspread, and so help me if Emerson even sneezes the wrong way she will not get near it.


Father's Day was a special weekend, even if it felt weird that my parents were out of town on a trip.


Fathers play such an important role in the life of a child and their families.  I don't take a moment for granted with my Dad.  He is so special and wonderful, and he loves us with all of his heart.  Not a moment of my life have I ever doubted his love for us.  When the Lord decided, "I'm going to give Randy Carlson to Katharine and Jay," BOY were we in for a blessing.  Kevin and Ryan feel the same way about their Dad, who is also amazing in so many ways.

And Ryan is absolutely wonderful with Emerson.  He shows her every day how much she's loved.  He cares for her, tends to her, plays with and prays for her.  He is such a sweet, tender hearted Dad.


The Lord has a careful plan when placing people in our lives.  And sometimes, His work through someone is done here on earth.  That's where F.E. Hobeika comes in. This man was one of THE GREATEST, and his earthly body was laid to rest last Wednesday.  Here was my tribute to him:



"F.E. Hobeika met his Heavenly Father right after Father's Day. He was one of the greatest men I’ve ever known, and today he is rejoicing with Jesus. Here he is shaking my Dad’s hand on the day that he gave me away. These two were real brothers in Christ, and my Dad considered F.E. a best friend. He always greeted me with a smile and a hug and said "bless your heart” to me hundreds of times. He also told me that my rate of speech reminded him of a machine gun…I can’t argue with that. He led a Bible study for our college class several summers ago, and when I asked him, “F.E, how can I pray for my grandfather to be saved?” he said, “You can pray for intervention.” Exactly one month ago today my grandfather accepted Christ, and I can hardly wait for them to meet in Heaven one day. F.E. also told us during our study that he and his wife, Alice, set aside money every month to give to those in need, and I still have the most precious voice message they left me after Emerson was born. I'll keep it forever. I will never, ever, forget F.E. for being a mentor, friend, encourager, and for living a life that showed Christ’s love in his every move. I’m so grateful to have had the opportunity to say goodbye to him yesterday. May God bless and comfort this precious family until they see him again. He leaves behind such an incredible legacy."

What kinds of things will be said about me when I'm gone?  It's really something to think about.  Am I going through the motions, or making an impact?  Will I make the most of my time here on earth, knowing that at any given moment I could be gone?

I pour my heart and soul into everything I do, and that can be a good and a bad thing.  Sure, it's awesome that I want to show Jesus in a big way, but there are also many things that distract me.  It's something I must daily work on.

I definitely pour my heart into my little girl, and she knows it.  We have an irreplaceable bond, and I would give my life for her.  While more work was being done on the house we went to Isaac's Mickey Mouse Birthday party, and she had a total blast!



The Birthday boy even got a new puppy, Sadie.


Emerson was only a little clingy to Mommy, which I know can be a pain at times while simultaneously melting my heart.  I brought her in first so that I could get the gifts out of the car, and she screamed when she saw me coming back.

This led me to the epiphany that she is like a Belk sensor tag.  She doesn't go off when I leave, but-sure enough- sounds loudly when I return.

Am I right?



I'm also grateful that Ryan, Emerson, and I have survived the stomach bug this past week.



There's so much going on in our world right now.  So many things are making headlines.  From the Charleston shootings and supreme court rulings to terrorist attacks, confederate flag debates, riots, Christian persecution, and much more.  There is so much news that it's hard to even know what to focus on.


So what can I say?  What can I possibly say that will reach people on both sides?  What can I write that will not be misconstrued or hurtful?  I know this.  One day we all...and I mean ALL...will stand before Jesus Christ.  Not as a group or with your best friend.  Not with your spouse or even with your children. You will stand alone.

What will He see when He sees you before Him?  Did you follow Him?  Did you really know and walk with Him?  Somehow I doubt that there will be any flags in Heaven.  Somehow I doubt that we'll be walking the streets of gold scrolling through our iphones in search of the perfect filter for that aweome #heavenlysunset while we #hangwithJesus and #walkonwater.  It's not about us.  It's not about our feelings.  People are getting so heated.  And it's not. about. us.  

Let's step back.  Joshua 24:15 says, "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."  Isn't this what is asked of us? This verse may hold the best answer when asked your opinion on any topic. "As for me.  As for ME, I'll serve the Lord."  When it comes to our eternal security, we will only have the opportunity to speak for ourselves.  But in addition- and this is a very important addition- we are also called to love one another and witness.  And not just love one another, but love one another "as I have loved you."  Woah- back up a second.  The Lord loved us enough to send His only son, and yet He is telling us to love each other AS MUCH as He loves us?  That puts lots of things in perspective.

Name calling?  Jesus wouldn't say it.  
Rioting? Jesus wouldn't have it.
Judgement? Only Jesus can do it.
Obedience? We better do it.
Loving one another?  You can bet on the nail scarred hands.

I know one thing; the Charleston nine died serving the Lord.

It's dangerous to throw around Bible verses for the sake of making a point, because so few people have an in-depth knowledge of the Bible; myself included.  But I really dug deep in my heart to figure out how to respond to everything that's going on today. Tactfully.  Prayerfully.  Lovingly.  And as for me, I will strive to be obedient to His word...His word that is as powerful and relevant as ever.  I only need to please Jesus.


No comments:

Post a Comment